Amazon & GoodSync Project Backups
There are heaps of backup solutions out there, some are based on-line, some are in your office. So as a deb developer, what’s the best solution?
When I deal with lots of website projects, there are a broad range of files I deal with, from large Photoshop files to small php files. Some of these files can be more than 100mb! In summary, I think i found the best solution and it’s been working out for me. I can rest knowing that if something happened to my machine or office, I would have some very recent web design project files to work with from any location. Here is what I use:
Why these 2?
Honestly, I can’t say with 100% certainty the best solution around because I haven’t tried every solution around. But these are 2 great products, and they deliver great value at a great price. Amazon offers software providers like GoodSync a way to take advantage of their fantastic API’s. If you need backups done regularly, securely, speedily and at a good price, in my opinion they are a great team!
GoodSync is the software which analyses and moves the data around, Amazon is the storage.
This way I keep my files backed up up locally on an external hard drive, and in a cloud. It’s important to keep your file in a cloud somewhere, in case your machine and/or backup drives fail. It’s a worst case scenario event. Do those ever happen? …
What is GoodSync?
Syncs files between your computer, mobile devices, FTP, SFTP, Amazon S3, Google Drive, SkyDrive, WebDAV, Azure.
Backs up files to portable drives, mobile devices and to FTP, S3, GDocs, SkyDrive, DAV or another computer.
Syncs files directly between your computers, without slowness introduced by syncing via 3rd party servers.
Very fast and syncs files on your command, periodically, by a schedule or in real time (on file change).
What is so good about GoodSync?
- It is constantly being maintained and updated. To me that is a big deal, it means less bugs, and ongoing great stability, security & features.
- It has a support system. I have used it, and it works. You can get the software to automatically send them files to help solve problems.
- It’s price is ONCE OFF, so you don’t need to keep paying them yearly. At least it’s like that currently. I don’t know about you, but I hate ongoing payments. Updates are free with GoodSync.
- You can set it to backup / sync in the background at times that better suit you, or just do it manually.
- It also offers a file explorer, which is actually very useful if you wanted to retrieve info. I didn’t think I would ever need software like that, because why would you need extra access to an area you already have full access to? Because it enables you to do a bulk download, that’s why. This is otherwise not always possible.
Notes on GoodSync
- I have tried using it with Google Drive, but it was too much data and it took WAY too long. That’s what got me onto Amazon S3.
- It usually updates several times a month, this says a lot about their dedication to improvements.
What is Amazon S3?
Amazon S3 is cloud storage for the Internet. It is designed to make web-scale computing easier for developers.
Amazon S3 provides a simple web-services interface that can be used to store and retrieve any amount of data, at any time, from anywhere on the web. It gives any developer access to the same highly scalable, reliable, secure, fast, inexpensive infrastructure that Amazon uses to run its own global network of web sites. The service aims to maximize benefits of scale and to pass those benefits on to developers.
What is so good about Amazon S3?
- Unlike Google Drive, Amazon S3 charges are not made on a subscription basis, instead it’s your actual usage. This might sound bad to some people, but I think it’s fairer, and if you use GoodSync properly by setting up backup schedules 2-3 times a week it won’t cost you that much. You won’t be paying for space you haven’t used, and because you aren’t told an allowance, you don’t need to work about breaching it or getting excess charges. I should add that it’s not as simple as being charged for the space you use, it’s any activity at all, even if you don’t upload or download any files. See below for an example of a bill for a months worth of syncing:
- It is very fast compared to the others I have tried, seems robust and efficient.
- We are talking about Amazon, I think that I can rely on them (touch wood) considering the size and calibre of this giant company.
- Setting up an account is free.